Presentation on the OVC programme effort index 2007 developed to measure the responses by countries in sub-Saharan Africa to the crisis facing orphans and vulnerable children. Presented at the Regional Inter-Agency Task Team on Children and AIDS Conference, September 2008.
- Overall but uneven progress since 2004
- Greatest improvements between 2004 and 2007 are national situation analyses, consultative processes, coordination mechanisms and national action planning
- Need for more effective coordination mechanisms at national and sub-national levels
- National action plans must be prioritised, results focused, evidence based and accurately costed. There has been limited progress in enforcing legislation that protects children.
- Greater efforts are made to resource and strengthen national monitoring and evaluation systems.